Enhance Your Health
Health Tip of the Week: Cell Phone Damage
It’s been about 24 years since the first handheld cell phones hit the market. After a slow, trickling roll out, the gradual purchase of these much bigger, bulkier phones turned into a stampede with cellular phones being the “must have” technology of the mid 1990’s. If my memory serves me correctly, I had a cell phone in my car (they were attached with a wire) and a handheld phone before I even had a computer with internet access.
The worry that surfaced in the 1st part of the next decade was that the phones produced electro magnetic radiation (EMR) and that we would not know the effect on the body until we have had 20 years of use to study the situation.
Well, it has been over 20 years and I have bad news. 14 years ago scientists warned us that wireless phone technology was dangerous and they offered advice on how to reduce the radiation to our bodies by using headsets with EMR blocking beads and or just using the speaker phone.
Flash forward to 2018 and new studies now suggest that those who use their cell phones the most are twice as likely to develop lethal brain cancer (glioma) compared to those whose exposure is minimal. Those who have used either a cell phone or cordless house phone for more than 25 years have triple the risk of glioma, compared to those who have used them for less than one year. Scary.
According to a recent article on cellular phone safety, the following safety strategies are offered:
- Don’t let your child use a cell phone. Barring a life-threatening emergency, children should not use a cell phone, or a wireless device of any type. Children are far more vulnerable to cell phone radiation than adults, because of their thinner skull bones.
- Keep your cell phone use to a minimum. Turn your cell phone off more often. Reserve it for emergencies or important matters. As long as your cell phone is on, it emits radiation intermittently, even when you are not actually making a call.
- Use a land line at home and at work.
- Reduce or eliminate your use of other wireless devices. Just as with cell phones, it is important to ask yourself whether or not you really need to use them every single time.
- Limit cell phone use to areas with excellent reception. The weaker the reception, the more power your phone must use to transmit, and the more power it uses, the more radiation it emits, and the deeper the dangerous radio waves penetrate into your body.
Ideally, you should only use your phone with full bars and good reception.
- Avoid carrying your cell phone on your body, and do not sleep with it below your pillow or near your head. Ideally, put it in your purse or carrying bag. Placing a cell phone in your bra or in a shirt pocket over your heart is asking for trouble, as is placing it in a man's pocket if he seeks to preserve his fertility.
The most dangerous place to be, in terms of radiation exposure, is within about six inches of the emitting antenna. You do not want any part of your body within that area while the phone is on.
- Use a well-shielded wired headset: Wired headsets will certainly allow you to keep the cell phone farther away from your body. However, if a wired headset is not well-shielded -- and most of them are not -- the wire itself can act as an antenna attracting and transmitting radiation directly to your brain.
So make sure the wire used to transmit the signal to your ear is shielded. One of the best kinds of headsets use a combination of shielded wire and air-tube. These operate like a stethoscope, transmitting the sound to your head as an actual sound wave; although there are wires that still must be shielded, there is no wire that goes all the way up to your head.
Chiropractic Thought for the Week
Here is an analogy. Think of your body as a light bulb. The light that the bulb gives off is how well your body is functioning. The brighter the light, the healthier you are. Full, bright light equals optimal function, performance and health. Dim or dull light equals poor function, distress and ill health.
The chiropractic spinal adjustment would be akin to a light switch. The body’s nervous system controls every function and system in the body. The nervous system flows from the brain though the spinal cord, out the spinal nerves to the rest of the body. Just like flipping a light switch, the chiropractic adjustment enhances or improves your nerve flow, increasing your inner light allowing your body to function as nature intended it to.